Wednesday 26 October 2011

A good battle at MTN Crater Cruise



Woman's podium

I had a really good build up with quality training sessions but although I have been able to squeeze a little more power from my SRM each week it was still with a sense of uncertainty of how I would fair against my opposition that I headed off with my fellow MTN-Qhubeka team mates for the MTN Crater Cruise.

Unlike the preceding races in the MTN Marathon series the women’s start was together with the rest of the men’s field and I knew it would be crucial to hang in with the main bunch as long as possible especially with such a strong women’s field.

The pace picked up as we hit the dirt after the long tar neutral section, I was feeling strong and reached the first technical single track with the front group. On the following gravel section I lost contact and was soon joined by Ariane (Contego), Yolandi, Ischen and Catherine (Bizhub) and Cherise and Karien USN. We rode together taking turns to pull in the front until we turned into the next technical single track; Ariane was in the lead and pulled a short gap as we lost a few seconds through one section. Reaching the rocky climb and descent I pushed hard to try and close it, too hard I realized after making a small error and losing some time. Yolandi and I had now taken a lead on the remainder of the field and we chased hard working together on the gravel road and jeep track sections trying to catch Ariane.
 I went into the single track along the river ahead of Yolandi grateful for my decision to ride the Conti X-King up front as it gripped well through the tight corners. I came out ahead of Yolandi put my head down and set my sights on closing the around 1 minute lead Ariane had on me.
Having lost a bottle early on in the race the 2nd tech zone and my team support were a good sight and I gratefully took on some fresh bottles. The next gravel road section with its relentless corrugations felt eternal but came with some respite as I could see I was starting to close the gap eventually catching just after the last water point. We reached the last climb together and I took the lead Ariane right on my wheel through to the railway line crossing and into the last 5kms. Ariane came to the front. I tried to take the lead when the course and my legs allowed but she was able to put in a strong surge that I could not reciprocate. I had to settle for 2nd wheel and she reached the final bridge first taking a well deserved win with me finishing 5seconds behind in 2nd.  Yolandi finished in 3rd, Ischen 4th and Cherise filled the podium in 5th

I was happy with my race performance using everything I had in my armor but more so with the fact that I’m feeling my former strength returning, happy days :)

It was great to win the MTN series overall and keep the pink jersey in the team especially after having such a broken season! Thanks to Doug and Team MTN-Qhubeka for making it possible, to my competitors for a great battle and to Advendurance for a quality MTB series!

Congrats to my team mates for great race performances despite their 3inch handicap and a big thanks to Andre (EpicSports cycle shop) and Nicole Alan for the support

Next week Paul and I head off to Malaysia for the MTB Tour of Langkawi; a 5 day individual MTB stage race which I’m super excited for!

Till our return, take care
Yolande Speedy
Team MTN-Qhubeka

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.