Wednesday 4 July 2012

Joberg2c - Arno du Toit


I must say I was a little worried about this one... nine days, 910km! Something different and new for me! Luckily I had Paul Cordes as my partner. He is also currently my coach so I was sure that he wouldn't try to break me.

Day 1 is apparently a neutral day but we were already taking shots. Things didn't look so good. Day 2 went even worse with Paul having issues with his pedal just before the last water point. We decided to sit up and enjoy the rest of the day out there. Okay, so maybe it wasn't really going that bad. We got our act together, or maybe rode into some shape, and suddenly we were both feeling pretty good.

Even though we planned a steady ride down to Scottburgh we got involved in a few serious battles out there. Some better riding and a bit of luck saw us moving into 4th overall after Day 6. Game on!

We came close to jumping on the podium the last day. Itec got us with less than 10km to go. Our legs weren’t really working anymore by this time. Anyway, we made it all the way and finished in 4th place. I must say I’ve never been so happy to get on the beach!

Thanks Transact for making this experience possible for us, Paul for some great riding and motivation when needed, Andre Cordes from Epic Sports and our mechanic/team management for making sure everything and the bikes ran smoothly all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.