Thursday 5 July 2012

Nashua Mobile Ladies’ Challenge Race Report - Amy McDougall


The Nashua Mobile Ladies Challenge, held at one of my favourite MTB venues in South Africa, is the biggest Ladies only MTB event on the continent, with 600 ladies split between the 40km, 25km and 10km disciplines. It is one of the best races as far as vibe and festivity is concerned. A good time is guaranteed!
I felt confident; I have gotten stronger and having top end equipment and kit makes a world of a difference! As usual I was on my Ghost Team edition XX bike fitted with Sram XX, Ritchey handlebar and seat post, Crank Brothers egg beater 3 peddles and ESI grips. In my bottles was the No Bonk Guarantee Singletrack Fuel, on my stem, my Bryton to track my race!





I won this event last year and felt obliged to defend my title! The route in Van Gaalens Cheese Farm, is specifically designed by Eric Schiper for the ladies; not technical and really flat. Although the race is only 40km long, for me, it is a flat out 40km sprint! I wanted to get a good lead, so I went flat out from the sound of the whistle.
My legs and lungs were burning, probably from the cold and dust. I got the gap I wanted, and just carried on pushing myself as hard as I could to see how far ahead I could get, and how far I could beat my time by from last year.



There was not much climbing and my Ghost and I were flying, I was loving the speed! All the Marshals were either ladies, or men dressed up in ridiculous outfits with tutus, wigs, bras etc which was very entertaining, I managed a giggle as I passed!
When I reached that fun bit of single-track that runs parallel to the river, I knew that I had it. I sprinted over the finish line in a time of 1:44, 9 minutes faster than my time from last year!



Our efforts were rewarded with a glass of Champaign, free massages and an amazing lunch, and, of course, the inevitable shot of tequila you get whenever you podium at a Leverage Corporation event!
Keep the rubber side down and remember to give it horns.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.