Monday 23 July 2012

SA XC Champs, Mankele - Yolande Speedy


With a strong, XC focused training block up behind me; Paul's mentorship helping me to believe in myself again, my Powertap finally starting to show me some familiar numbers and a good race result at Nissan Trailseeker #2 in Cullinan I felt confident heading to Mankele for SA XC Champs

We headed to Nelspruit where we would be staying early Friday morning riding in convoy with our super group of fellow Mountain bikers and supporters for another fun filled and exciting MTB weekend.

Having pre-ridden the course on our training camp 2 weeks earlier I was already confident on it and of my tire selection (Continental Race King on the front and Maxxis Icon back) so after 2 laps; one to double check the race lines and one to give my legs and lungs a good stretch it was time to head to our accommodation and get feet up.




With so many of our riders racing Paul had decided not to race but to play support role and quickly got stuck into maticulously preparing our race machines for the next day.

Soon it was race day and I cannot remember when last I felt so many nerves creeping in!
After completing my pre-race routine; warm up rub, USN supplements and a few hard efforts on the bike I headed to the start line where I was really impressed with the turn out. One of the biggest ladies fields I've seen for XC!!



It was great to have Mariske back on the start line after being based in the States for most of the year and we shared a few jokes trying to calm our shattered nerves. A short race briefing and we were off in a cloud of dust, I had a good start getting the whole shot and into the single track in the lead the rest of the field hot on my heels. Candice passed me on the climb going into the rocky technical section ahead of me Sam catching up to us through the next few technical sections.

The course surface had become rough and lose in the corners but the race lines smoother and more flowing in general and we flew through it soon reaching the big drop off. Unfortunately I did not have the confidence to take it with my injury and Sam overtook me as I went round on the chicken run. I chased back reclaiming my 2nd place in the 2nd lap Candice now with about a 20sec gap. Feeling the pressure I made a few mistakes and Sam again passed me again forming a gap on the technical sections which I worked hard to try and close on the climbs.
Going through for my 3rd lap feeling the effect of the hard racing I gratefully grabbed my 2nd bottle of USN BCAA-Vitargo and made use of the first flat open section to take in some Vooma gel.

The race situation remained the same for the next 2 laps, Candice in the lead Sam 2nd and me chasing hard from behind. I was unable to make up enough  time on the few climbs and I knew I was losing too much time not taking the big drop especially as the chicken run became more rutted and slower through out the race. I was thinking I'd have to take a flyer at it on my last lap if I couldn't get a big enough gap but fortunately it did not come down to that. 




Going into the last lap Sam had a 10sec lead on me and Candice 22secs. I caught Sam on the first climb and pushed as hard as I could to try get enough of a gap before the drop. Catching Candice on the short steep climb after the wooden bridge drop off was a surprise and I knew I would have to give 100 percent with no mistakes to keep a lead. Fortunately we were both taking the 2nd chicken run and I got into the last single track section with a few seconds lead. 1 slip out through a corner lost me some time but I came into the last bmx section in the lead and gave everything I had left to the finish line Candice on my wheel. I was super happy to take the win, one of my most exciting race finishes for sure and a proper battle from start to finish with both Candice and Sam in great form having raced in Europe and Candice preparing for Olympics!

More overwhelming than my win was the support from everyone throughout the race and all my supporters and friends waiting at the finish to give me a big hug and words of congratulations!! All I can says is WOW and a big heart felt thanks, you guys are truly special!




Enough about me, it was a fantastic and exciting day of racing for all of our PYCycling atheltes all ourt hard work coming to fruition!
Catherine(Bizhub) finished 3rd in youth women, a great race for her and big improvement on her last XC Cup result.
Amy(Decca/Ghost) 3rd in elite women and 3rd in the overall series
Andrea 7th U23 but close to finishing 5th had she not faded in her last lap
Francois(USN) 2nd vet men and taking the overall series win
Marcel 12th youth men despite 3 punctures and a super exciting U23 men's race for Arno finishing 3rd half a wheel length behind 2nd place's Luke.

BIG Congrats to everyone!!




After a great day's racing all that was left to do was celebrate and we did that in style having a fun and festive group dinner.

We ended our weekend with one of my all time favourite MTB rides up to the Avalanche, back down it ending with the extremely technical mine shaft.  Now that's what I call real MTB trails!

Thanks Mankele and to all the race organisers for a fantastic weekend.

And a very special thanks to Paul and EpicSports for the super race support and for helping me to believe in what a few weeks earlier seemed to be the impossible!

Till next time
Yolande

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.