Monday 22 October 2012

NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #4 - HALF MARATHON - VAN GAALENS - 20 OCTOBER 2012 - Edwill O'Neill


Waking up at 05:30am and only having to drive +- 45 min to get to a race was a welcome relief as the previous weekend we had to get up at 3am to leave at 4am for the Crater Cruise in Parys.   On our way to Van Gaalens we found ourselves surrounded by hundreds of road cyclist, doing the Best Med Jacaranda Satellite challenge, creating a sort of traffic jam.

We finally arrived at Van Gaalens, as we entered the parking area we bumped into OB and Dries on their way to the EPIC SPORTS Tech Zone and Water point – my sister Edelè joined them to help them at the EPIC SPORTS water point.

The Half Marathon race started at 08:20am.  The eager juniors started to line up at 07:40.  Marcel Marais (@PYcyling) and Werner van Heerden (Team Jeep) joined me at the start chute where the atmosphere was relaxed. After the briefing everybody got focused and the countdown started.  

 My start was crazy, within the first 200 meters I swung out for a tree trunk and not checking my blind spot I collided with Werner!  Likely we both managed to stay upright.  We then hit the jeep track; Nicholas Poppich went to the front and put in a hard effort to break away. The first 10km was tough on me, my legs struggled to “wake up”. I found myself with all the “old oomies”.   By the look of things I thought this is going to be a crappy race for me. I had a small mental battle with myself but decided to push on and get to the chasing group.

I reached the 1st water point and here we were directed up a really steep climb.  After I dragged myself over the steep climb, I started the downhill section. Reaching the bottom I was back on track and re-joined the chasing pack. We kept going at a steady pace and my legs finally “woke up”!!
PJ Luus pulled a gap on me and Marcel after the first downhill and singeltrack section, Marcel sitting on the front kept a steady pace trying to reel PJ in, slowly but surely.

We reached the final water point and tech zone were the Epic Sports Team was doing a great job. A huge thanks to the Epic guys and the girls who cheered us on.

Entering the singletrack , the guys set off to tackle the final 10km.  We exited the single track and Sheldon Dagley set off to catch PJ Luus.  I followed and sat on his wheel.  Entering the bush tunnel myself and Sheldon made our move on PJ Luus and managed to pass him 3km from the finish.  Riding really hard, myself, Sheldon and Neil Roberts shot through the bush tunnel and ended up sprinting to the finish.

 I ended up finishing 5th in the Half Marathon – Junior Men. I’m really happy with this result as it is my best of the NISSAN Trailseeker series after a very disappointing Down and Dirty race.

Van Gaalens is a tough race!!!!!  The climbs, the downhill sections, the single tracks and everything in between kept us on the edge.

I want to say a very big thank you to Paul and everyone for their support and well done Marcel Marias(@Pycycling) who finished in the Top 10 - Junior Men.  Great race by Dylon Rebello (asg) finishing 1st, 2nd Nicholas Poppich and 3rd Werner van Heerden (Team Jeep).  Well done to Amy MacDougall, Angie de Boer and Arno du Toit(@Pycycling) and all the other Epic Sports Club members who did the 70km and 45km.  You raced hard and done good!!

EDWILL O’NEILL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.