Monday 28 January 2013

The Barberton Beast - Nicholas Popich



I stood on the start line for my first MTN Barberton Half Marathon with shaky legs hearing stories about the beastly climb just outside of the Neutral Zone. It was a rough week recovering from a bad crash and concussion at last weekend’s USN Cup #1. My expectations weren’t very high... never the less, we (me, Jacques Pretorius, Catherine Colyn and Michelle Benson) were prepared to challenge the Barberton Beast in our brand new a[s]g PY-cycling kit.



It was a relief to get the race started. Neutral Zone was warm up and mental preparation time for the climb to come. I’m glad I used my first High5 gel sachet in that time. Within the first 500m of the never ending 12km climb, four of us had already broken away. The three 29inch wheels started disappearing ahead of me. It is hard to keep your attention focused on riding in such pretty terrain when you are all alone in the Pine Woods of Barberton. Hoping and praying after every switchback that this would be the last, the High5 kicked in halfway up! Every sip made me feel stronger and I caught my first 29er at the top of the beast, moving into 3rd position. Happy to have made it to the top – Feeling sorry for my team mates making their way up!

The descent was some good hair raising fun. Stoking it down as fast as possible to make up as much ground as I could to stay ahead of the 29er’s with my tiny 26inch Pinarello. Staying focused and keeping your fingers on the brakes were of great importance! Never before have I come across downhills with 6 arrows pointing downwards (warning boards). It was a nice surprise finding the Epic Sports crew halfway giving some needed and appreciated support. Still in third and going strong. Without noticing, I emptied my bottle of High5 2:1 around 25km into the race and had a hot and thirsty mission to the finish. 

During the mission to the finish, the Beast provided us with some mud (which I got stuck in). Luckily I had some newly fitted Crank Brother egg beater 3 pedals and with no hassle clipped my SiDi’s back in after the muddy excursion. The Beast was a little gracious too, giving us river crossings to cool down the burning legs. Having an empty bottle caught up to me 10km from the finish and entering the last stretch of bumpy single track just made it worse. By 5km I had hit the wall. Hunger Knock! Sadly I lost my podium spot by a sip of supplement. Just shows how important it is to have enough to eat and drink during a race for sustained energy!


It ended as a great weekend with some good positions for the team (well done to Catherine with her win), some bad luck for others but still an enjoyable, yet short camping trip bonding with the new a[s]g PY-Cycling family. Thanks to ALL. Looking forward to and incredible year and tackling the XCO Provincials this coming weekend!

Nicholas Popich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.