Tuesday 2 April 2013

Cape Epic 2013 - Yolande Speedy



WOW, where to start... the beginning I guess but just a heads up this is going to be long!

Why Cath & I...
Catherine Williamson (@TeamBizhub) and I (@asg_PYCycling) started chatting after we finished World Marathon Camps in Ornans, France last year. Finishing in 13th and 14th place respectively we decided we'd make a good match for an Epic partnership and started setting the wheels in motion.
With Epic being a 'tad' expensive ;) and our sponsors already having committed their budgets for 2013 they were unfortunately unable to help us with an entry and we looked to an outside sponsor for the event.
That's when Hendrik van Huyssteen, Energas stepped in.
He was preparing for his 10th Epic which he would be riding with his daughter Laurike. We met together with them and his wife Petra after getting in touch just after Barberton. They very generously offered to pay for our entry as well as technical support.
We were excited to say the least and knowing we would have a good chance for a podium focused on preparation for the building months.
Cath based in Stellenbosch and myself in Pretoria we would not have the opportunity to race together prior to the Epic but knew each other's strengths and weaknesses and each worked towards minimizing our own.

After Barberton was our first SA XC Cup in Cape Town which I was really looking forward, it would be my 2nd XC race on my Pinarello which with its lower steeper racked front end handles more like a 26er; very responsive, climbs like a demon and would be perfect  for the steep technical course.
Having put in all the training I was very disappointed with how I felt during the race, just not able to get power down. In fact if I'm honest I thought I'd come to the end of my career, time to hang up the bike and buy a set of knitting needles...
Never one to go out without a fight though I went for some tests and was relieved to find out that it was all 'easily' fixable. I had an impinged sciatic nerve on the left and my left hamstring was not firing correctly causing me to compensate by pedalling more with my hip flexors than my quads and hamstrings.

After 4 weeks rehabilitation with @JacoKakaa on the Cybex machine and massage therapy from @Dimensionsport to release the nerve I was pedalling more efficiently, much stronger, had a good SA Cup at PMB and felt ready to face the Epic!!

Which was a good thing as before I knew it Epic was upon us!






I travelled down the Friday morning before with Hendrik and his family and we met Cath at the airport.Our Epic Journey had begun
Prologue - Meerendal - 23km, 700m asc


In case you are wondering why I was not in the colours of Energas for the first stages; (a big dilemma for me not being able to give them that coverage) being the SA XC Champ and this being a UCI sanctioned XC event meant I had to wear SA colours, a fact had not entered my mind until Richard Durrant (commisaire) contacted me the day before. Thanks @StraussMariske for coming to the rescue and loaning me a shirt!

With 2 super strong international teams BMC Wheeler's Ezster Suss & Jane Nuessli and Topeak Ergon's Sally Bigham & Milena Landtwing as well as many unknowns we were just hoping to make the podium.

We were 3rd UCI ladies team off, with Team C-Bear - Laura Turpjin & Sara Martens and Team www.rrsport.co.nz - Kath Kelly & Erin Greene ahead and Team Pragma Volcan ladies just behind us.

We set off at a hard pace and were soon onto the first long steep switchback climb. Cath being the stronger climber we had decided that I set the pace so we didn't go too hard and I would then also be in position to lead on the downhill.
I kept as hard a pace as I could but being competitive and knowing I was holding Cath up was eating away at me! Fortunately after the following downhill and flat section through the quarry my legs started to feel good. We passed Team www.rrsport.co.nz on the first climb and Team C-Bear before the 2nd reaching it close together with Team BMC Wheeler and Team Topeak Ergon.
BMC-Wheeler pulled ahead but we kept with Sally, her partner seeming to take strain on the climbs. We pushed hard to the end coming in just ahead of them but 3rd overall, very happy for our first podium for Energas!!

After the jersey presentation we packed up and headed to Citrusdal to get ready for the 1st long stage.

Stage 1 - Citrusdal to Citrusdal - 96km, 2350m asc



Thick sand, thicker sand, even thicker sand and a few sense of humour failures...
This has got to go down as one of my toughest Epic stages ever and it also proved just how tough my partner is!

The start was flat out and straight into the first big climb of the day. Teams BMC Wheeler and Topeak Ergon shot ahead in the front of the main bunch. I struggled to recover after the start and Cath gave me a few helping pushes to stick with the group on the climb (super strong and yes I felt awful!) About halfway up the climb Team Pragma Volcan caught us and we rode in the same bunch for a few kms. Still on the tar section of the climb we passed Team Topeak Ergon on the side of the road, Milena clearly not well.

I finally found my legs and we slowly pulled away from Pragma Volcan digging deep and keeping a steady pace up the climb. Cath was super strong and I spent the majority of the first half of the stage sitting her wheel as we tried to keep ahead of Team Topeak Ergon expecting them to recover and come hauling past at any minute.
The day became a blur of riding and portaging through thick sand, down steep rocky rutted descents and up steep technical climbs.

About 60km into the stage Cath had a nasty fall over the bars on a rocky descent, I was just ahead and heard her come down. She fell hard on her hip which she has previously injured and we were quite concerned she'd done some serious damage!
Fortunately nothing broken!! But very sore with a nasty gash down to the bone on her right elbow.
We pushed on Cath obviously shaken and sore and I was grateful to be feeling good and able to give her a wheel to sit. We admittedly had a few sense of humour failures along the way with thick sand ambushing us around every corner and were extremely happy to cross the finish line taking 2nd place!!
We heard later that Sally's partner had sadly pulled out, very frustrating for her and sad to lose one of the top international teams!

Cath got stitched up and we headed to @DimensionSport for much needed massage and rehab

Stage 2 - Citrusdal to Tulbach - 146km, 2350m asc



Although a longer day today flowed nicely and compared to the previous days slog through the sand was relatively easy. Cath's hip had eased up a bit thanks to @BrigetteMileson 's work with her acupuncture pens (magic pens as I dub them). I did however feel a sympathy pain every time we went over a bump only able to imagine the pain in her elbow!!

At the very start we saw Team BMC wheeler  pulling off to the side of the bunch and though they must have some technical issue.

I climbed easier at the start than previous days and we soon had a good lead on the other teams.
Expecting BMC Wheeler to come charging past at any point we raced our hearts out (ok admittedly our heart rate wasn't going much above 150, my max HR recorded on my Cycleops Joule was 163) from start to finish never letting up for a second. The route was fairly rolling and we were feeling good. For the most part of that day we found ourselves catching smaller groups only to pedal with them for a while and ride away from them or pedal straight past. Realising we could be in for a stage win was giving us huge motivation!

I can't describe the feeling as we crossed the finish line taking the stage and riding ourselves into the leaders jerseys.



The rest of that day was a blur!
Waiting to see if we'd taken the lead, interview, jersey presentation, interview, doping control, interview, massage, preparing for next day, evening presentation, dinner, bed....

Stage 3 - Tulbach - Tulbach - 94km, 1950m asc
They said this would be a rest day.... Warning bells should have gone off in my head!
We had a good start and took an early lead, the newly earned leaders jerseys weighing heavily on our shoulders. We were sure BMC Wheeler could make back a lot of lost time in the next few days and we wanted to hang on to them for as long as possible.

A little way in we found we had an outcast shadow behind us, the lonely figure of Jane Nuessli Ezster having pulled out with illness. She asked if we minded her riding along behind us apologising that she could not help at all no longer involved in the race. We were just very sad for them and that another top international team was out!

We decided to try take it a bit easier now not under so much pressure and wanting to recover from the previous day but the nature of the terrain with steep technical climbs did not allow for much of that. Thank goodness for my High5 Isogels that kept me going that day!!

Crossing the finish line we were both feeling quite broken but super happy to maintain leaders jerseys and stretch our lead on the remainder of the ladies field.

After presentation it was time to focus on recovery and fortunately the day was less hectic with some time to get feet up.



Stage 4 - Tulbach - Wellington - 120km
Another long but fast flowing stage :)
Again a fast start we sat in the bunch, the first 20kms flying by. Reaching the first climb we backed off a bit settling into our own rhythm keeping the pace hard but consistent.
It was after the climb on one of the following jeep track sections that I took out my own partner :(  Cath was leading down a section of jeep track on the right line, the left was a bit smoother and I planned to come past and give her a faster line to follow. I should have shouted my plan though as when I went to go past Cath came over into the left line and we locked together balancing on each other for a few seconds until we rode off the side into the bushes.  James Thompson was behind to witness the chain of events and apparently as Cath was flying through the air I was already apologising. I got off scot free but poor Cath cut her left elbow which she'd later have stitched and also bruised her quad quite badly. I felt horrid but thankful that we were 'ok' and our bikes came out unscathed! After regaining our composure we carried on quickly getting our pace back.



Reaching the foot of Bainskloof we had a nice group and were soon joined by more riders including Cherise and Duane who had a super strong day. We sat with them till the climb steepened and the settled back into our pace worried we were going to pop. The climb wasn't as steep and long as we expected and soon we were flying down the other side and into the next single track section. After the last water point we started the last long technical, steep climb back up Bainskloof. It felt somewhat never ending but we were feeling strong and put in a solid effort to the top.
It was then mostly downhill to the finish with just one short steep sting in the tail and we gratefully crossed the finish line in 1st again for the stage.


Stage 5 - Wellington - Wellington - 75km, 1880m asc



With 22km of single-track today's stage was described as the most fun you'll have on your bike at Epic... With 1880m asc I was a tad sceptical to be honest!
It was probably one of our toughest days, our legs were feeling the effort of the previous day and the climbs were steep and relentless rewarded by awesome but very short lived single track.
After a fast and hard start C-Bear took an early lead but we were climbing well and soon caught and passed them. We continued to push hard throughout the stage despite how our legs felt. A comment from a fellow rider during one of the later stages would have been apt for this stage "Shut up legs and do what I say!!" (with a German accent of course)

We were very happy to finally see the finish taking our 4th stage win !



Stage 6 - Wellington - Stellenbosch - 99.km, 2950m asc
My toughest day on a bike...
With almost 3000m of climbing we thought this would be one of the toughest days but due to the routes flowing nature the kms rolled by quickly. Our legs had recovered well and apart from my usual battle on the first long climbs where Cath gave me a few pushes (so strong) we were climbing well. We reached the summit of the first long forest climb where we were met by @pcordesracing and @JakesJ528 cheering us on :D. A few more short steep climbs and we were on to the next 30km section of rolling mostly downhill and semi technical riding. We were with a nice group and kept the pace high.
Things were going well until I nearly ended our race on a fast flowing jeep track section. It all happened so quickly that I can't say for sure what went wrong... I was following wheel and perhaps due to a slight lapse in concentration didn't see a rock/obstacle of sorts in the path, hit it and catapulted over the bars landing whack on my left shoulder and upper back. I quickly got up, Cath was with me like a flash. After a quick examination we decided nothing was broken and to continue just taking it very easy at first. A km on and we stopped to adjust my levers which had twisted round on the bar making braking and gear changing a bit difficult. That helped a lot and we continued on, I was sore but happy I could pedal.
Team C-Bear caught and passed us as we laboured to the 2nd water point Cath helping me where she could. We replaced bottles and Cath headed to the medics to get me some paracetemol which I gratefully swallowed.
Once I was on the bike I could climb well still being able to pull on the bars but lifting my arm was painful and it now became quite a long process to get on the bike and start pedalling. Going over bumps was admittedly not much fun either. It did get better though I assume once the pain killers kicked in and we continued on going as hard as we could on the climbs taking it easy on the descents. Team Pragma Volcan ladies also came past somewhere in the last 25kms and we worked to minimize our time lose as best we could. Cath was awesome giving me the help and support I needed to pull through.
We reached the "James Bond" tunnel and were soon onto the last climb @PCordesRacing waiting to cheer us on.

The last descent to the finish went fairly well and we crossed the finish line in 3rd. I was very sore but super grateful we made it. The man upstairs was definitely looking after us.

I was adverse to getting x-rays taken but knew it was par for the course even though there was nothing that could be done before tomorrow's stage.
Very grateful to have @pcordesracing there to help me I followed our normal recovery as far as possible and then headed for the hospital.



I was shocked to see the x-ray reveal 2 broken ribs (2&3rd) and broken distal end of my clavicle.
The doctor said he didn't want me to continue riding and gave me a list of possible complications that could arise. This Epic had become more than just a race to me and the thought of quitting didn't enter my head for a second even if it meant walking the last stage. I asked if he could strap it and said I would continue. He tried again to dissuade me before we left but my mind was made up. (I understood his concern but also know they need to make you aware of the worst case scenarios. Still I wouldn't recommend anyone to follow the course of action that I did)
The race doctor had a similar outlook which again I understood but besides checking my vitals that evening and again in the morning he could not change my mind. @lineGriffiths expertly strapped my arm and shoulder to give it support and after Paul helped me prepare for the next day I headed to join Cath for some dinner.

We decided if she had to push me the whole way and we had to walk for kms we would not give up. We would take it easy and no chances but try make our 2 hour gap. To which we drank coffee and tea and ate our 10 year celebration cupcakes :)




Stage 7 - Stellenbosch - Lourensford - 54km, 1550m asc Our time gap to 2nd 2:00:11,9
Just being able to get on the bike, not feel too much pain and line up at the start felt like a miracle in itself! The overwhelming support from everyone before the start almost had us in tears, today was sure to be an emotional one!
One moment I will never forget was when Jane Nuessli came up to me put her hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said with so much meaning and confidence "Do it, just do it" and that we would!

I was most nervous for the start not wanting to be in big bunches or to hold up the pro field and
we started off conservatively letting the main field fly past focusing on keeping it safe. Team C-Bear soon took the lead with Team Pragma Volcan Ladies hot on their heels.

Cath had worked out we needed to do 10kms an hour to maintain our overall lead and after 1 hour and 20kms we were looking pretty good :)

We climbed well, fortunately I was still able to pull on the bars and our legs were again feeling pretty good. In fact this would be the easiest I have ever ridden an Epic final stage, normally the time gaps are way too close and the chance of changes in the overall within categories big. We were super grateful for our big buffer and that we had raced as hard as we did to this point.

Reaching the top of the climbs we descended super slowly me in front looking for the smoothest line and Cath behind playing body guard and traffic warden. We had a few good laughs about that as well as some cracker quotes of the day from spectators and riders not knowing of my injuries. 1st place goes to this: One section went down a steep sandy drop across a bridge and up the other side, seeing this I carefully dismounted and proceeded to push. To which a younger spectator shouted out "Don't give up before you try" we had a good laugh... And a close runner up: a fellow rider commented to Cath as he came past us over a rougher section "What's wrong with your partner? Is she tired?"

Back to the race... We kept a steady pace on the long climb passing through the water point stopping only to drop my chain before the steep climb continued as it wasn't playing ball. I took it very cautiously climbing off well before any sections I felt I may not make.
This was where we started to miss our usual riding companions being quite far back in the field from previous days. Riders would rush past on the downhill sections and block up the technical climbs which was quite frustrating! Anyway we made it safely up the climb and started our slow descent towards the finish.
The 1st steep single track section we walked not wanting to take any risk, this was quite embarrassing!! I'd become one of those fun riders everyone dreads that block up the really cool sections and it was a live TV filming section! Huge apologies to all whose fun I spoilt and to Cath for making her look like a fun rider ;)

After that it was more open roads the only obstacle being water drainage ditches AKA collarbone crunchers. We took it slowly, pushed hard on the remaining climbs and made it through the next single track sections only having to walk over a couple obstacles. Soon we could see bunting tape and hear the noise from the finish line. With a km to go we were already starting to cry, we crossed the finish in 4th for the day but maintaining our overall win. @DimensionSport was ready with the champagne and we were welcomed with a soaking and a big hug from @PCordesracing :D WOW I can't put that moment into words...


Well done to Hanlie Booyens and Ischen Stopforth - Pragma Volcan ladies for their 2nd place and - Laura turpjin and Sara Martens - C-Bear 3rd!
What an Epic Epic!!!

Thanks to everyone for making it possible!

To my partner Cath, I'd never have made it without you! Thanks for the incredible journey one I'll treasure forever!
And to her sponsors @TeamBizhub



To Energas, Hendrik Petra and Laurike Van Huyssteen without whom we would not have lined up at the start!
Thanks to for all the extras you helped us with to make everything run smoothly and allow us to focus on pedalling our bikes, it was all so much appreciated!

Also a huge congratulations to Hendrik and Laurike for completing the race! Hendrik's 10th!!

To all my sponsors, friends, family and supporters for all your messages of encouragement and congratulations without your overwhelming support we would not have achieved what I'd have said was the impossible!



To @PCordesracing for being there when I needed you most, never questioning my ability and ever confident.



To @Dimensionsport @BrigetteMileson and @Shaun_Mileson for your invaluable support throughout the race.
Our bikes were perfect from start to finish with not one technical and it gave us peace of mind knowing they were in such capable hands! And thanks for always going that extra mile to ensure we had a comforatble and trouble free ride!
Massage was the favourite part of my day and my legs felt strong and recovered well right to the end  :)
Also for taking on a team management role as well organising tech boxes etc, always there for us at the start of each day and to meet us at the finish helping us get ready for jersey presentation and handing us much needed recovery drinks and food.

To Les Shand @Conti_SA for your support and encouragement. Not one flat or cut tire, pretty impressive if you ask me!

To Corrie, Magura for servicing my fork a few days in. It's plushness was really appreciated especially on those last days!

To all my sponsors for making it possible to race @asg_PYCycling , @EpicSports , @asgsport , @CycleOpsJHB , @Conti_SA , @Squirtlube_SA , @Bicicletta_ZA

To my Pinarello Dogma XC. Epic is a true test for any bike and the Pinarello from my stand point passed with flying colours. It's unique design and geometry make it super responsive, it climbs likes a dream. Without question it's the best handling 29er I've ridden.

Thank you
Yolande Speedy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.