Monday 8 April 2013

My ASG MTB Academy Family - Kyle Wood



I have always been a keen cyclist, but mostly loved “fooling around purposefully” on my bicycle.  Just being fit enough to kill some fast flowing singly track with a fewor many wheelies, and a couple of little jumps in between.  Cycling has always been my biggest passion, and the thing that my world revolves around.
Marcel and Edwill had convinced me to join them for a coffee ride with Paul and Arno.  It seemed to me,that the more frequently they trained and the more frequently they drank coffee, the stronger and more focused they became.....  Things like a distinct cycling tan would indicate how much you had been training.  It seemed as if I had been living on my bike as a result of the contrast of my awesome cycling tan on my pale skin!!  I was intrigued! I asked myself.… Was getting hooked on cycling even more than ever before, at all possible?   


I have become fitter and love my riding! This was an ideal situation.Suffering whilst doing what you love with the coolest “ouens”!  I remember having a good laugh when telling Paul and the Thursday race bunch, that after that amazing single track I need to admit to my “Sheep” (Girlfriend) that she is no longer the only thing that gives me butterflies!!  I love the riding on a more focused level, be it at a level to keep up with the “BIG BOYS” with an occasional rocket sprint with Arno!
On 7 April 2013, for the first time in a long time I was really nervous standing in the start shoot!  This was a good sign to me, because I realised that I cared about the outcome and the result at the end!  This was not just about me; this was also about the team!! 10 min, 5 min, 2 min, 30 sec, 15 sec, and BOOM, we were off!  Not the best start and I ended up about 20th going up the first climb amongst the under 23’s and the other Elite riders.  I told myself ‘What will count now is determination!’




I worked hard during the 1st and 2nd laps and was on average in 6th place.  I decided that more work was required!  Trap jou fiets Woody!!  I could now settle into a strong rhythm and try to reel the other riders in.  But then… as I crossed the river during the 4th lap, I hit the rim of my bike on a rock and found myself nursing my bike back to the Tech Zone!


Once I had had my tyre pumped and made sure that the ever-friendly Tiaan had pumped it to a solid 2.5 bar, I now wanted to sprint the last 2 laps, but instead listened to Paul’s wise words.... “Keep it steady!”  I fortunately took his advice otherwise it would have been up to my mom to scrape my remains from the track! 

It was a toughrace and I feel thatI could have done better.  At the same time I am extremely happy with my progress.  The motivation I have found is huge.  I am now motivated to train harder, drink even more coffee and take my cycling to new heights.  The ASG Academy is my cycling family, not only myteammates, but supporting friends who don’t hesitate to push me to my limits.  I now have a new focus, want to become more competitive and be the best I can be.
The build up to the race was great. My appreciation to Paul for making me part of the Academy, and to my teammates for accepting me. I am now a proud part of the ASG MTB family. 

Cycling greetings, Kyle “Woody” Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.