Tuesday 18 June 2013

Mankele Training Camp - Kyle Wood

I had heard a lot about Mankele from my team-mates and had set my expectations very high. As we got closer to departure date, I began to get more and more excited. That child-like feeling of anticipation, to the point where I couldn’t sleep and had the car packed by 4 that morning. We left early on Sunday morning and before we knew it we had arrived at this place many call cycling heaven. After we had checked in, and after Paul Cordes had shown the other visiting team, who had the best trailer, it was time to get dressed and go on our first warm up ride. Once dressed and ready, everyone had decided which of the many towers we would ride to, and when Arno pointed out the route we going to take, I looked up into the clouds and realized that this was the start of some amazing training.



Yolande, Paul, Arno, Tayla and I started the climb and before I knew it we had climbed over 1000 meters and we were standing on top of Mankele looking at the most amazing view. Little did I know I was about to see what Mankele was all about! Before I knew it we were on a fast decent in and out of some of the most incredible single track I had ever ridden! Tight corners, little unexpected drops, a few burms and some roots and rocks everywhere in between! At one stage the track had become steep and loose and I over cooked it a little in an effort to try and catch up to Paul and Arno, and found myself lying in a bunch of trees. I called out to them saying I’d fallen and just heard 2 guys laughing as if I was a beginner. It was time for me to step up my game! Everyone was right, Mankele had exceeded my expectations.



After we had all unpacked everyone said they wanted to take a nap? This to me is unheard of, so Tayla and I left to buy that night’s supper, while everyone else had their little sleep. Once we were back, Marcel had finally arrived from Swaziland and was overjoyed with his win at the Swaziland Imvelo MTB challenge.
 Once everyone had woken up it was time for the teams first hurt session! Yolande decided we were going to do 6 hill intervals. Sprinting to the top of the XCO course and then descending down a section with a crazy burm and cute little drop off. This we repeated a couple of times. It turned out to be a great days training and that evening I could feel my legs had done some quality work. I got into bed around 8 which to Arno and Marcel was too early, which meant I would get beaten and wrestled into a little ball before I would be allowed to finally sleep.

Day 2 had come and this would be the day I learnt the art of “napping”. We set off to the furthest and highest tower and as if that wasn’t bad enough Paul thought it a good idea just to do a bunch of sprints all the way up to the top. Each interval being 5 minutes long with 15 sprints in each interval. I gave Arno a good work out for the first 2 sets and had the feeling every one else was pacing themselves. This hill was a lot longer then I had anticipated and before I knew it I was deep into the hurt box! We finally reached the top and it was time for me to take a little sit down and beg everyone for some of their food, I was absolutely shattered. We had admired the beautiful view for a while and once I was able to stand again, we left on yet another amazing fast decent that lead us into the famous bush tunnels at the end. Bridges, jumps, sneaky trees and speed thrown in the mix, meant we would all come out the other side with a MASSIVE smile on our faces. The climb before the amazing decent made sense now and was extremely rewarding to those that were able to reach the top.



Arriving back at the house, we had a quick lunch. After lunch Arno, Tayla and Marcel went to buy supper and before I knew it, I was fast asleep on the couch. Waking up over an hour later I was told to get dressed and put on my big boy pants. Little did I know this would turn out to be one of the greatest rides of my life. We climbed to the top of the Avalanche and on the steeper top section, we saw who could climb the steep rutted out section without putting their foot down, the most times. This was their idea of a sneaky trick to get me to do another 5 intervals. After that we stood at the top looking down the mountain, everyone telling me to enjoy and be safe……. They were off and I was in full pursuit! Little did I know but the only time I’d catch Arno and Paul, was when they stopped to tell me they rode over a snake. A half an hour decent with little to no pedaling in-between had become the most amazing cycling experience of my life. I felt free and so at home with my new team. Fast flowing single track with everything on it! Finally everything was coming together! At the end the only thing left to say, was thank you. I was over the moon and will never forget the Avalanche course again.

That night we had a braai, and with some wine, spoke about how great the training had been. Everyone seemed pleased with their form. Great to see the “Epic champ” full of smiles again and properly back on her MTB bike. A long road to recovery but she seemed pleased with the outcome and its great to see her in full action again.

Day 3 came and sadly was to be our last ride. It seemed cold at first but we soon warmed up after our first set of intervals. My body started feeling the pressure and before I knew it I was silent for once. Just holding onto the back of the group. I still loved the ride and would go to the front for the occasional sprint against whoever was willing. Still an amazing ride and after another 1000 meters of climbing and more out of this world single track, it was time to pack up and head home.
Mankele training camp had been a huge boost for all of us. A chance to get away, not only out for a few days of great training, but also to refresh ourselves mentally, and get focused on our new goals for the  second half of the year to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.