Tuesday 9 July 2013

Nissan Trailseeker #2, Cullinan - Nicholas Popich

After missing the first of the Nissan Trailseeker series I was looking forward to leg two in the series held at the Cullinan Diamond mine. Having raced there in previous years it has become one of my favourite venues in the series… it has some steep power climbs! The a[s]g MTB Academy showed up in full force attracting all the attention with our fancy Pinarello DogmaXC’s and striking yellow Rudy Project helmets. Ready to once again make our mark!



On the start line of the 40km I realized that we team mates Jacques, Joel and I were pretty strong together and could dominate the race, but we rather didn’t discus it beforehand. None of us were quite sure how we would feel when the pace gets turned on, Jacques and I were still stiff from the week’s training and Joel had gashed open his head, also during training!



Joel’s fancy little cycling computer showed 11 °C, cold but not unbearable. Jackets off, smash a High5 ISO Gel, one minute to go! The tension on the start line was reduced when an enthusiastic single speed mountain biker dressed in pink feathers and little fairy wings was appointed to be out neutral zone lead out.



Not too long and we were in for a big surprise. It started off with a grueling headwind! The whole bunch felt as if we were coming to a standstill. Every guy for himself trying to tuck in and hide but it was no use. We had to just keep going until we change direction. So far the route was all jeep tracks, funny enough there was only one line to ride… the DUSTY one! You could taste the dust on your teeth and feel it burning your eyes.

Slowly the conditions started taking its toll on the riders and one by one the riders couldn’t keep the high pace. We were about 6 riders left, my team mates the “J”-men (Jacques and Joel) still in contention! A deep sludgy pool of black gunge approached and following that a sandy power climb. Made it through the pool of “tar” but we had to run the way up the climb. To our surprise three of us “broke away” while running our way up. Thankful I had Crank Bro pedals, no clogging up! Time to extend our lead! Alexander put the hammer down.

To my advantage I still had “J-man” Joel by my side and together we kept the pace high but didn’t do too much work. We passed the Epic Sports water point and hearing the crew’s wild cheers gave some extra motivation. Smashed another ISO Gel and downed some High5 2:1… The POWER climbs began!
Sadly I saw my team mate Joel disappear into the dust behind me at approximately 22km into the race. Thereafter we got struck by the sight of the biggest climb on route. I didn’t even bother to ride the first few meters. I jumped off and RAN! My Sidi’s gripped like rugby boots between the rocks and sand. I passed Alexander trying to ride up and funny enough when reaching the top I had more than a 50m lead. This was my chance and I used it!



Dropped my head, tucked my elbows and with 15km to go, raced for the finish! The route became overgrown with bumpy tufts of grass but keeping in mind: The faster you go, the more you flow… I rode harder! It was a relief to reach the summit of the last climb seeing my dad cheering me on. 1 km to go!
I was ecstatic to cross the line first overall and as the first junior. Smiling from ear to ear a very proud team manager Paul Cordes came to congratulate me. Three minutes later Alexander came in and shortly afterwards J & J (Joel 3rd and Jacques 4th) sprinted across the line!



Well done to the Academy with the MANY podiums achieved this weekend and thanks for everyone’s help and support. Thanks Paul, Yolande, Epic Sports and a[s]g!

Looking forward to some SERIOUS racing, SA Cross Country Championships.

Nicholas Popich #TheBadger



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.