Tuesday 6 August 2013

ASG Academy Dominate the USN Cup #5

Last Saturday the 5th leg of the popular local mountain bike series, the USN Cup, was held at the Academy member’s playground; The Big Red Barn in Irene. The “kids in yellow” took charge and all in all achieved 9golds (age cat and overall), 2 silvers and 2 bronze podium positions between the Marathon and Half Marathon.

Arno du Toit won the Marathon overall, he battled it out against his series rival, Jan Withaar who beat him in the previous USN Cup. “Soon after starting I realised my legs felt good, so I made the racing hard right from the start. In the end I only had Jan Withaar with me, but after he made a slight mistake just before the finish I managed to take the win.” Stephan Reyneke came 6th overall and was pleased with his result against a tough field!



In the ladies’ Marathon race, Yolande Speedy and Amy McDougall finished 1st and 2nd respectively. Due to a missing marker, half the field of marathon riders ended up taking a short cut, causing a lot of confusion and upset. McDougall and Speedy did not take a wrong turn resulting in them not crossing the line in their respective positions. Commissures made the decision to give them the winning positions as they were the dominant leaders from the start of the race.“Super fun, fast and flowing course for USN MTB Cup #5 @BigRedBarnSA  today. Happy to take the win! Well done too to all my teammates for their great results!” ~Speedy



In the men’s Half Marathon race, Heinrich Greve came 2nd overall behind Michael Ferreira and 1stJunior “It was a great day in the saddle with the pace very high in the leading group and my legs feeling fresh. Unfortunately for Jacques he had a puncture and fell back. The familiar terrain gave me the confidence to keep pedalling hard and take the category win." Jacques Pretorius was having a great race, but as is with mountain biking, anything can happen! He suffered a burped tyre which cost him valuable time and positions. Still he managed to finish 4th overall and 3rd Junior. “I felt great and was able to make the race hard for my competitors, but sadly lady luck wasn't with me and I burped my tyre about 8 km to go.”



There was a full house podium for the Academy in the ladies’ 30km race with Michelle Benson in 1st, Danielle Rheeder 2nd and Christine Popich 3rdBenson and Rheeder raced head to head for the first half of the race. When a technical section of the route came up, Benson made the most of her skills and opened a gap on Rheeder. Benson managed to keep her lead until the end when she crossed the line in first place. Popich came in 3rd completing the full Academy podium. In fourth place overall was the Academy’s Sub Junior Azulde Britz, who won her age category “The race was great, awesome single and jeep track. It was very dusty but I'm very happy to walk away with a 1st place in my cat and a 4th place overall in the 30km” ~Britz




Another successful race was not without smiles and the positive energy that seems to follow the unique ASG Academy trailer wherever it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.