Wednesday 11 September 2013

Arno - World Champ Report


 U/23 XCO World Champs:

This was honestly the longest build or training block towards a single event I have ever experienced. After an "okay" result down in PE at SA xco Champs, we went back to Pretoria for a fun and fast USN marathon at the famous Big red barn. I managed another win in the series and with that gathered some positive energy for the last few weeks of prep.


Most of this time I spent in my home town, Ficksburg, simply because I felt that the terrain and conditions around there are much better for training purposes. Nothing against Klapperkop, but yes... I even had the privilege of hosting Coach Paul and Yolande for a weekend. A few tech sessions and some intervals at 3000m altitude was great to fine tune some turbo’s before a few easier days.



I decided to travel down a week before the main event and this way I could support Paul and some other old guys also racing for rainbow striped shirts. Unfortunately Paul 'only' managed 2nd :) Even though for me this was the moment things got serious. Suddenly I no longer felt so relaxed. Standing on the sideline watching such a great performance from your Coach and training partner... That was truly special and inspirational.

Course practice during the week went well and the atmosphere from the whole SA squad was great. Dinner the night before with Gert and Matthys was great to settle the nerves and after the doing about 6 race laps in my mind I finally fell asleep.
                                           

Friday, race day! Longest day of my life. Normal routine was not possible because we were only racing at 15:15 which is much later than usual. After breakfast and a light spin, Gert and I still had a few hours to kill before we could suite up, so we didn't speak to each other while we sat around, over thinking stuff and stressing about everything.

Being ranked 51st was not ideal, but after avoiding crashes and other mishaps in the start straight, I managed to get into the first single track right behind James in about 12th place. I have followed him around a bit this year, so I told myself to stay on that wheel and ride it like a National. I soon realised it wasn't like just another National.



                                         
Half way up the second climb while pedaling my heart out, about 20 guys rode past me. I knew I went too deep and realized that I needed to get back into a rhythm as soon as possible. Once again I had to gulp down some High5 gels, knowing that it would do the trick. The last few laps saw a light drizzle which was just enough to make the rocks and logs a bit more dangerous. Thankfully the Pinarello brought me to the line safely and I was rather happy with 35th place against the best in the world.

All and all I have to thank Cycling SA for making this possible and also all the a[s]g PYCyling equipment sponsors and friends for making it so much easier for me.

Onwards

Arno

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.