Monday 14 October 2013

National Marathon series comes to a successful end.

Lumo yellow mottled the country this weekend with Paul Cordes and Arno du Toit winning the Swazi frontier, Yolande Speedy winning the Berg ‘n Bush with Fedgroup’s Bridgette Stewart. And a strong contingent competing in the MTN National Crater Cruise in Parys.

A long hard season of marathon racing came to an apex in Parys for the final leg of the MTN National series, the Crater Cruise. Stephan Reyneke once again proved to be one of the best in the country when he came 2nd U23 to RE:CM’s Lourens Luus. “What a day. The average temperature was 35.5 degrees over 103km of racing… It was a hard day in the saddle. The course was flat but very bumpy and the heat made it very hard to stay hydrated! I was happy to take 2nd place u23 in a sprint finish at the end.Thanks to ASG_pycycling for making my racing possible.” said Reyneke.

In the ladies race Amy McDougall came 3rd to RE:CM’s Arianne Kleinhans and Robyn de Groot. “This is one of my best results of the year, I am very happy! The Dogma was so smooth and rode flawlessly. It was a scorching hot day and I found myself racing in the red for the majority of the race, with my heart rate sitting steadily in the 180’s for a couple of hours I was worried about bonking. Although I was suffering and my heart rate dropped into my normal 170’s, I felt strong to the end thanks to High 5 and some long training hours. Most of all I am happy to take 2nd overall in the series and 1st in my age category!” ~McDougall


In the 23km, also held on the Saturday, Azulde Britz put out another great performance as she was the 6th lady to cross the line and 3rd Youth. Being on the podium has been a regular occurrence throughout the year for this youngster. “It was great race the pace was set at the beginning and we kept it there. I really enjoyed it and am so happy with my 3rd place and happy to say I'm closing the gap at each race between me and 1st place!”


In the half marathon on Sunday, Danielle Rheeder had a steller race to end off her season. She came 2nd to BMC’s Hazel Magill in a sprint finish. Rheeder: “The race was quite fast and flat. It was windy out there which made riding a bit more difficult. Hazel and I worked together for the last 10km and we crossed the line right next to each other. I am chuffed with my 2nd place!”


Yolande Speedy and Fedgroup’s Bridget Stewart teamed up for one of the most scenic and enjoyable races on the calendar. It boasts some of the best single track in the country which is a treat of anyone privileged enough to ride there. Speedy and Stewart had a tight 3 days of racing against Velo Life’s Ashleigh Moffatt and Kendal Ryan. Moffatt and Ryan won the first stage by 2 minutes but Speedy and Stewart won the following 2 days and the overall race by 6 minutes; proving that in this case, experience trumps youth! “It was a super fun 3 days at the Burg ‘n Bush, some of the best single track I’ve ridden, and thoroughly enjoyed my partnership with Bridget Stewart!! It was tough racing against team BMC’s Ashleigh and Kendal, keeping it exciting to the end. Thanks Fedgroup, ASG_Pycycling and all my sponsors for the outstanding support!”



After a long season of successful training and consistent results, Paul Cordes and Arno du Toit teamed up for a bit of well-deserved fun at the Swazi Frontier. The route, built in the scenic mountains of Swaziland follows a logical progression from one overnight venue to the next and covers a total of 180kms. Riders are provided with Maps and have to navigate their way to each stop unsupported. “With the season pretty much coming to an end now, it was great to finish things off with a “no pressure”, fun-filled event . I realised that I am privileged to ride the Dogma on such amazing trails through a beautiful country. A big thank you to Paul Cordes and ASG_PYcycling for the opportunity” ~Du Toit

Says Cordes: “It’s been a while since I’ve done a stage race and this was a great one to finish up with. We were privelaged to ride on fantastic trails and countryside were Arno was in charge of the navigation. The Dogmas were once again flaweless, Conti’s were perfect and Squirt cleaned and lubed the bikes everyday. The power tap gave the stats and directions which worked out perfectly and High 5 helped to fend off the 40 degree heat and dehydration. It is a super event for anyone looking for something different!”

It has been a long season for many of the academy members and there are mixed feelings of relief and sadness as a great year of racing with many ups and downs is coming to a close. There are still a few local races and stage races coming up on the calendar to look forward to. The academy can be proud of what its athletes have achieved in the National XCO and XCM series this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.