Tuesday 11 March 2014

WP Open XCO, UCI Cat2 - Gert Heyns


This weekend when most cyclist were heading to the Cape for the Argus Cycletour, I went there to race the first round of the WP Provincial XCO Series. What made this event special was that it was also classified as an UCI Cat 2 event carrying some valuable UCI points.

After racing  the Ultra Marathons at Dullstroom and Sabie I was keen for some XC racing. The event was held on the Willowbridge Slammer once again and even attracted a few UCI teams like Kargo Pro and Orange Monkey from the UK, as well as most of the top Western Province racers.

My race got off to a slow start as I slipped my pedal and lost a few positions. By the top of the first big climb I worked myself back up to second following Louis Knipe down the downhill sections. It didn't take long to open a gap and by the end of lap one I was out in front on my own. I decided to make use of the gap and went for it, riding my own pace trying to stay flowing and efficient. I was impressed at how smooth my Pinarello Dogma hardtail felt on the worn out track, making it easy to stay in control on the loose corners and rutted downhills. By lap 4 I was caught by a flying Matthys Beukes (Scott), I tried to stay on his wheel but he was the better rider on the day. I stayed in 2nd place for the rest of the 8lap race holding off the chase from 3rd place Travis Walker (Kargo) to finish second overall and first u23.



As much as I wanted to win this one, it kind of felt like a 1,2 for Matthys and me as I will be racing the Absa Cape Epic with him. I am really excited for my  first Epic and could not have asked for a better partner.

I considered defending  my MTN National Series Leaders jersey in Tulbugh this weekend. But decided that XCO will remain my main focus and that racing the SA XC Cup in Pietermaritzburg this weekend would serve as a good last tester before the Epic.

Looking forward to racing on Cascades again, lets hope it rains.

Gert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.