Monday 26 May 2014

MTN Rooiberg - Jacques Pretorius

The 4th leg of the National XCM Series was held at Rooiberg close to Bela Bela. The sandy terrain made it the most difficult race in the series this far. 

Friday night teammate Edwill O'Neil and I spent the night on our friend Ben's farm in Bela Bela, it was great to relax in nature the day before the race. We were the first to arrive at the race venue because Ben was sure that Rooiberg is further away from Bella Bella and we trusted his knowledge of the Limpopo.

After two hours of sitting in the car I got myself a coffee and watched the start of the marathon race and then I started my warm up, after a few tempo's we started lining up at the start.

On the start line I took my High 5 EnergyGel to help me with the high pace in the start. From the start I went straight to the front to stay out of the dust and to avoid the yo yo effect. After a few km's of racing I was in the leading group consisting of 8 riders. I kept pushing hard on the pedals trying to split the group even more with little success.  About 20 km's in we hit a steep loose climb. This is where we all split up After running up the hill. I after the climb I was 5th and kept chasing till the end . 

I finished 5th I am happy with how I felt on race day and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season! 

Well done to Arno and Gert for coming first and second respectively at the national XCO at Mankele! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.