Wednesday 21 May 2014

Sani2C 2014 - Yolande Speedy

Wow it's been a long time since I sat down to write a race report!

Not having done much racing this year and with no majorly exciting results (my best so far being a win at the 2nd USN Cup & a few provincial XCO wins where I came 1st and last; where are all the Elite ladies!!!) it's been hard to find the motivation. Not a valid excuse I know so my apologies!!

Yolandi du Toit and I have been plotting to team up for a stage race for some time now and I owe her and her sponsors a great deal of thanks for organising us our Sani2C entry.
Battling with an injury that limits my ability to train and race at high intensity I was quite nervous going into the race especially as my team mate is in great form at the moment. Despite this and With it being 3 years since my last Sani2C I was really looking forward to lining up for the start in Underberg!




Stage 1 - Underberg to MacKenzie Country Club; Distance : 87km, Total Ascent : 1450m

Armed with my Pinarello Dogma XC, Ritchey carbon race wheels sporting Conti tires and pockets full of High5 gels I headed to the start with Yolandi ready for some racing action.

The start was quite intense, the bunch setting a fast pace with teams wanting to reach the single track first. We stuck with them for the first few kilometers until I had to make the call to drop back and settle into a pace I could maintain (Thank goodness for a super, understanding partner!)

We continued at a hard tempo not losing too much ground on the race leaders. Reaching the oaks single track in 3rd in the ladies we passed Theresa Ralph and Jeannie Dreyer walking; Theresa sadly having crashed and broken her wrist. Checking they were 'okay' we continued on perhaps a bit more cautious over the rough rooty and rutted singletrack.

Settling back into our hard tempo pace Yolandi letting me set the pace on the climbs we reached the second water point feeling strong. We quickly stopped and Yolandi applied Squirt lube to our chains whilst I re-filled our bottles. The last 15kms went by smoothly and it was only when we reached the last couple of kickers with the infamous 'Tinys climb' to the finish that I realised how tired my legs were feeling! We crossed the line in second very happy with our effort and having enjoyed our new partnership.



Stage 2 - MacKenzie Country Club to Jolivet; Distance : 99km, Total Ascent  2 288m

With the renowned single track descent into the Umkomass valley this has to be one of the best MTB routes ever laid out and we were excited for the racing to get under way. An early morning start had us setting off just before daylight, the fast pace splitting the A bunch up nicely going into the technical single track. A technical and a crash for me on a wooden bridge had us playing leap frog with @NataliFifi and her partner Tammy Visagie. Getting back into 2nd place after the 2nd water point We kept a good steady pace and held our position for the day.

Stage 3 - Jolivet to Scottburgh; Distance : 80km, Total Ascent : 902m

With a number of changes in the route since my last Sani2C in 2010 I was not too sure what to expect except that it would be a fast day and to save something for the last 30km.

The reverse start order meant that we only set off at 11am so after 2 breakfasts, some socializing and a good warm up it was finally time for the off. A fast start on open gravel rolling roads meant that I soon had to back off and we again settled into our hard tempo pace taking turns in front against a fairly strong head wind. We passed the 3rd ladies team who had a better start about 10kms in and paced as hard as we could over the ups and downs that followed through the sugar cane fields. For most of the day we were on our own and I must admit it was an eerie feeling reaching the rugged climbs leading into Vernon Crooks reserve without a sole in sight!

A few kilometers before the last water point 4 riders caught us and we sat in with them pushing hard into the head wind, taking a turn in front I could feel my legs had done some work and hoped they would hold out to the end. Our new found company stopped to re-fill but with less than 20kms we pushed through. From there we hit the new single track sections and kept a good pace on the final uphill climbs. Yolandi stopped to get me some water at the last stop having noticed my bottle was empty (thoughtful team mate!!!) and before we new it we were onto the final 600m floating bridge across the lagoon and into the finish. We again finished in 2nd a strong day of racing behind us and very happy with our overall 2nd place!!

Congrats to @robyndegroot and @jenniestenerhag winning the event and our master XCO World Champ @NataliFifi and her partner Tammy Visagie on 3rd!!



Thanks to @Sani2C_scoop, @Farmer_glen and Mandy for another unforgettable #SaniRace experience!!



Thank you to @GarminSA for the entry and memorable experience, I thoroughly enjoyed teaming up with @Yolandi_duToit and feel we had a solid race together!

Thanks to all my sponsors @asg_PYCycling, @asgsport, @EpicCycleShop, @Conti_SA, @Squirtlube_SA, @RitcheyLogic, @BICICLETTA_ZA for all your support and making it possible for me to do what I love!!

Till next time,
Yolande

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.