Saturday 25 June 2011

Nissan Hazeldean 2011 by pc

Nissan Marathon Series #1 Hazeldean 2011
Well this weekend was the start of the local Nissan series that takes place in and around Gauteng as well as the launch of Yolandes and my blog which we have been in the process of creating for the better part of a year. Therefore needless to say I was aiming for a good result which would be no better way to advertise the new blog but unfortunately it was not to be! However I will run you through the first half of the race up until the part where I threw myself over the handlebars as well as inform you of some better news instead:
Week two of Yolandes rehab is complete and Monday will see her return onto the bike for her first normal ride in several months! So far all has gone to plan and we have been very grateful how her operation went as well as her recovery thus far. With a bit of luck we will see her back on the circuit in a few weeks and look forward to the rest of the year ahead!
Anyway enough about that, back to the race! If you were to guess that the combination of -2deg temp registered on the SRM or the 300kph winds or my massive body fat content was nothing short of unpleasant then you wouldn’t be far wrong! However the vibe and the whole setup of the start/finish area was fantastic and added to that the fact that entries closed at 2000 riders this year shows that the organizers are doing something right!
A very strong field rolled off the launch pad at 7:30 and bound with the unusual arm/knee warmer combos, windjammers, buffs, winter gloves and Under Armour combinations that are less commonly found at mtb events we were on our way. On the first small climb team mate Charles Keey put in a charge which the rest of the front runners took a keen interest in, closed down and then basically never let up. The pace was fast to say the least in less than 5km I was apart of a 9man lead group with no one else in sight! From there the tactics started with surges and counters until Adrien made a strong move and sent the rest of us gasping for a rear wheel! A 5 man chase group formed with Jacques sitting in nicely and a few seconds back were Charles, two other riders and I.
I was fairly happy with this set up as I knew all the technical sections were still ahead and at that pace there were certain to be casualties due to over extension. However for me it was not to be… as we sliced through a fast grassy corner sitting in second wheel I clipped an unsighted rock with my pedal which high-sided the bike sending me on my face tangled in a mass of carbon fiber. Not sure how it happened but probably every mechanical part that could move, adjust or bend did just that. Also in my fall I managed to bruise and twist almost every part of my body in some way or another. Continuing wasn’t possible unfortunately and I had to abandon which was a very disappointing end to a day which I had high hopes for.
Big congratulations to my team mates finishing up 3rd, 5th and 6th as well as Multigirl winning the elite woman’s category!  It was great to be able to take part in a race and a series that is so close to home and with such a high level of competition! Looking forward to round 2 in a few weeks at Teak place, this time I will hope to keep the rubber side down!!
See you on the trails! PC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.