Friday 24 June 2011

Rietvlei XC National #4 2011

19 June 2011
Well it has almost been a year since my last cross country event and to be honest was not really a focus for me this year but with having a national practically on our door step it was too intriguing to turn away. The week leading up to the event I got to host the multi-talented Eszter at my house and we went and did a few practice laps during the week prior to help us be sure we knew what we were in for.
The course was quite different than last year and while only offering one quick climb there was a lot of flat twisty off camber sections that kept one continuously on your toes. The lap finished off through the vlei area which thankfully was very smooth and good for our hard tail Volcans but challenging with a lot of unsighted turns and leaving one very exposed to the JHB south winds.
There was good elite turn out which was nice to see and at 12:00 we set off at a pace which was rather a rude awakening! I finally settled down and sucked back in my lungs which temporarily I found laying on my handlebar. I got on the accelerator where I could find traction and through the tech zone and short climb I was hot on the heels of the group competing for 3rd spot. However it was not to be as my horsepower was out matched by pure xc skill and although I made good head way into the chase group every lap I was lacking in the twisty bits and that podium spot became a carrot that I was just not able to catch.
I finished up 6th behind 5 young xc specific athletes all with good pedigree and hats off to them for some great aggressive racing. I was very pleased with my lap times having my start lap and last lap identical in time and 5 of the 7 laps within a few sec of each other. The good news is that I was very happy with the engine, feels as though both of my diesel cylinders are firing and it gives me quite a bit of confidence going into the next set of races.
Well next week is the first of the Nissan series where I'll be roll’n with the rampaging Rwandan hoping we can mix things up amongst all the big wheels!
Till then, rubber side down.
Regards,
Paul Cordes
MTN/Qhubeka mtb team
@pcordesracing
Photo credit: CSharp photography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.