Monday 27 May 2013

A Weekend of ups and downs for the ASG Academy

Last weekend, the ASG Academy had members competing in the National XCO, the Nissan Trailseeker series #1 at Curro College and Arno du Toit competed in his second World Cup XCO in the Czech republic. It was a weekend of varied feelings with excellent results and exciting racing, mixed with some unpredictable bad luck that is what makes mountain biking the fickle sport that we love.
The third leg of the National XCO leg was held at Thaba trails, the same course as last week’s provincial. One lap was added for most of the age categories, making the races long on an already tough course.
Stephan Reyneke put in a big effort and had another solid performance, coming 3th U23 and 5th Pro Elite “It was hard racing from the start, I found myself yo-yoing between 2nd and 4th place. My last lap was very painful! Paul told me in training to push through my weak moments. Those words ran through my mind as I pushed through to secure my position on the podium!”



Michelle Benson had tough competition in the junior ladies race, her hard worked payed off with an impressive 3rd place!



Neville Ackermann achieved an amazing result after struggling with his health for months, it was great to see his form coming back as he placed 2nd in the master’s category!



Nicholas Popich, came 6th in the Junior Category, his training had temporarily taken a back seat to his matric studies but he still gave it his all and enjoyed the riding, as he puts it: “The fun attained from suffering on a bike is something only a cyclist will understand”.

Amy McDougall had some bad luck with mechanical issues, she was coming second in the Pro Elite Category when in her last lap her chain snapped. She walked the rest of the lap and came in 7th Pro Elite and 3rd Elite. Paul Cordes had a similar bout of bad luck when a crash in his 2nd last lap caused his derailleur to break forcing him to forfeit his race.

Although Yolande Speedy couldn’t race, she once again showed amazing sportsmanship by being there the whole day to support her team mates! Things are looking up on her road to recovery andshe will be competing in SA Marathon Champs, the Big Induna next week!

In the Nissan Trailseeker #1 half marathon, Jacques Pretorius had a killer of a race, coming 2nd by a few seconds. Pretorius was elated by his performance: “I put a hard effort in at the start, and my rival and I quickly opened up a gap on the rest of the field. It was a fast and flat race, I would have preferred more climbing but I’m happy, one year ago I finished 56th at the Trailseeker #1 at the same venue this year I moved up to 2nd. Things can only go better from here!”



Danielle Rheeder Had a steller race, winning the ladies half marathon overall.“I got my new bike on Thursday... A 29er Cannondale!! I was very excited that morning to try it out! At the start I had a bad fall because of another rider that pushed infront of me... I got up and decided to make it my race with a lot of catching up to do, at 6km before the end I caught up with the leading ladies! I put in a lot of effort to win the race! I was very happy with my performance!”  In the marathon, Andrea de Boer came 3rd senior lady “A fast and furious race that tested my limits and legs. The pace was high, the race was hard and the result was pleasing” said de Boer.

Arno Du Toit got pulled off in his second World Cup race due to the 80% rule, where riders’ times have to be within 80% of the winning time. Du Toit raced his heart out, had he been 40 seconds faster, he would have finished. This experience is one that he will carry with him for years to come and can only make him a stronger rider.

Mountain biking may be an unpredictable and fickle sport but that is what makes it exciting and full of possibility! Once again the positive vibe and camaraderie within the Academy is prevalent as the young athletes work toward their individual goals and encourage each other on the road to theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.