Monday 3 June 2013

Road to SA Champs - Marcel Marais

As SA champs crawled closer and closer, the more I started to realize that my first ultra marathon was just around the corner. It was an intense couple of weeks heading into SA Champs as I haven't been getting any outstanding results. Clarens, 3weeks prior to SA's I had the legs on the day but was very unfortunate as I picked up a mechanical in the first 5km and that had left me to fight back from behind just to try and secure myself a decent position. Provincials at Thaba Trails, truth is I couldn't find anything good out of that race as I had no legs and felt extremely flat throughout the whole race. Nissan Trailseeker #1, I was very happy with my result and with how I felt. Things started to look up and the mind and body was right as we approached SA Champs.



The field for the Ultra Marathon consisted all the top riders in the country including fun riders looking to have a good time in the lowveld. 2 Iso-gels before the start just to get the system and legs going and thankfully we had a very chilled start before we had hit the first little climb. As the first couple of k's ticked away, the pro's started opening the taps and that was the last time I saw them. We were very priveledged to be able to ride some awesome trails just to remind us why we were doing this sport. We were spoiled with some sublime quad and hippo trails as well as some sweet single track. The first loop (36km) I had some company as teammate Stephan Reynecke was still battling with flu and had to pull off unfortunately leaving me alone in hills.

The 2nd and 3rd loop (38km) consisted of steep long climbs, river crossings, fast and twisty single track but luckily with the grip of continental x-king (front) and race king (rear) there was no problem on keeping the rubber side down. As I got myself into a steady and consistent rythem, the k's ticked away and the finish got closer but with a high5 energy gel and iso-gel every hour it made my journey a lot easier. Also big ups to the water points for all the help and sorry to the lady who's jug of water I took and poured all over myself. With a quick stop at the last water point for some coke and a quick lube of squirt lube I set off for the last 10k's. And just that feeling of knowing I wasn't still the only one out there after passing a couple of the marathon riders was very comforting and also knowing I was still on the right course.

5 hours and 55 minutes later I crawled over the finish line knowing that I've just finished my first ultra marathon. Have to say, it was worth it! Big thanks to all for the support and to everyone who made it possible! And a very big thanks to Paul Cordes for the motivation and training, ASG PYcycling for the support and the parents for making it possible! 

Till next time!

Marcel Marais

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.