Tuesday 21 May 2013

Time to put away the marathon legs and wake up the fast XCO legs again. – Stephan Reyneke


The@asg_pycycling gang and I went to have a first look at the race route for the following two weekends on Thursday afternoon. Heading out on our first lap, we soon discovered this was going to be a tough one… The steep up hills and technical single track didn't allow for much rest.
Just when we though all the surprises were over there was more... A GAP JUMP! And don't we boys like to fly!!But, my fellow team mate Jack(Jacques Pretorious) took the flying part a bit seriously… He got so excited when his wheels took flight that he forgot to take the turn after the landing resulting in a nasty tumble!





Race day!
I got up early to support our @asg_pycycling ladies. The weather wasn't looking too promising. I was pretty nervous as Amy McDougal took a win in the elite ladies class and Michelle Benson was the second junior lady, setting the bench mark high!
Next off was Paul Cordes, cleaning out his class as usual.
Then it was time for the u23s and the elites to mix it up a little. Marcel Marais, Kyle Wood and Edwill O’Neill were standing next to me on the line... As the gun went off it was all about getting into the single track first… Surprising myself, I was leading up the first climb. WheeleeyumMakgopo was breathing down my neck for the first lap and a half and took 2nd U23 in the end. Teammate Kyle Wood comfortably took 3rd. I was very happy taking my first win in my ASG MTB Academy colours!



Thanks toWendell Bole for the excellent course at Thaba Trails. I am looking forward to racing the upcoming SA Cup #3 next weekend on this course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.