Friday 14 June 2013

Press Release: ASG MTB Academy lights up the podium at 4th USN Cup.

Last Saturday the 4th leg of the popular USN Cup series was held at the Big Red Barn in Irene. The network of trails and exciting single track have become the ASG Academy members’ playground as they ride there on most Thursday afternoons in the Epic Sports “Dirt Jam”.

In the 50km Arno Du Toit came 2nd in 1:58:27,5 seconds behind Jan Withaar. “I tried to make the racing hard from the start, but as soon caught by a group of ballies. I might have burnt too many matches there and after some fast and fun racing, ended up coming 2nd in a sprint finish.”



Nicholas Popich, although technically being too young to compete in the 50km, took up the challenge anyway. Popich surprised himself pleasantly: “I wanted to challenge myself by racing the 50km and test myself against the “big boys”. I raced my heart out and loved the trails at Red Barn! I was really happy to come in 5th overall and 3rd place in the senior category!”



Neville Ackerman rode an excellent time of 2:06:27 “We are spoilt having such a venue as the Big Red Barn so close to us! The tracks are fun and although flattish, if ridden fast are hard work but most enjoyable. I am happy to have won the masters category!”



Yolande Speedy and Amy McDougall, just behind Yolandi Du Toit and Samantha Saunders took a wrong turnabout 20km in to the race resulting in an unintentional short cut. Not sure what to do, they stopped and rode slowly for a while. When Yolandi Du Toit came past, they resumed racing. Speedy pulled out before the finish as she felt it would be unfair to claim a place after taking a short cut. McDougall crossed the line but spoke to the commissures and other ladies about the situation. They said that many people, including winning lady Sam Saunders took a wrong turn and concluded that she should maintain her 3rd place.Andrea de Boer came 3rdSenior lady.



In the 30km, there was tight racing in the men’s category. Jacques Pretorius finished 3rd overall and second in the junior men’s category. “I went into the race with an “I will not lose this” kind of attitude. I knew what I had to do to win. Unfortunately I got caught up behind some of the 50km riders in the sprint finish”



Danielle Rheeder continued her winning streak as she crossed the line in first, 8 minutes ahead of second place! “It was fast and flowing… I loved the single track! I gave it my all to take the win!”
Then at the Swaziland Imvelo marathon Marcel Marias took the overall honours showing his fitness over the longer distances. This is Marcel’s first win of the season so we are very proud of him!
The ASG MTB Academy claimed another successful weekend of racing, with a podium decorated in their colours. Next up is the MTN Rooiberg marathon and half marathons as well as round 4 of the Provincial XCO champs.

Until next time, Happy pedalling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.